Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Fathers Day 2009

So I get this wild hair to do something really different and FUN for the fathers in our family. I found this great place called Bakerella and saw these clever little burger meals!! How hard can that be, I've been decorating cakes since I was a teenager!! Well, let's just say, I had my moments.

Making the paper products was the easiest, PRINT and COPY. . cut and paste. That was done one evening while watching Bill O Reilly.




So today is Friday night and I'm making the fries. . I bought a package of already made dough. . mmmmm. The shape was a little pre-set, so I had to re shape to make right, and after two tries, I think the fries will be ok. Not perfect, but ok.



On to Sat. morning now, and I'm making the meat!! I dont have a two inch cutter thing, and I can't find the lid to my Pam spray. . so I find a little juice glass thats the right size. Again, I bought pre made brownies, and had to reshape them, they were bite size and I needed all together ones...ahhhhh. . . are u seeing a pattern?? I got them in the pan and they actually baked up pretty good. . and the glass cut them out perfect. . SO, on to the buns!!




I bought a white cake mix. . didn't it say WHITE?? So I'm putting the mix into the mixer, and as I cut the top off of the package, and turn to add to the bowl, it catches on the drawer pull and EMPTIES upside down onto the floor!! The whole thing!! I have NEVER had that happen before, ever!! AHHH. . .so I clean up the mess and go to the pantry and I find a yellow mix, I double check the website for instructions and its a YELLOW mix I need. HA!! So this time the mixing and baking go fine.




As I'm cleaning up the dishes, I start to wash the glass from cutting the meat brownies, and it breaks!! WHAT??? It cuts my thumb and I can't believe that it broke. . so I have to stop and get a bandaid and . .AHHHHH some more!


The buns bake great and I'm ready to assemble. . I need to get the food coloring from Aunt Sue and I'll be set. OK, so I have the coloring, and I put the frosting into the baggies. . and CHEAP baggies are a BIG NO. . .frosting came out the seams all over. . .AHHHHHHH!!!




So I start over and make cones out of wax paper and get the lettuce and ketsup and mustard on the buns and put together my burgers. I stand back to loook, and AHHHHHH!!! I have built them upside down. I guess those fixings go ON TOP OF THE MEAT, not the bottom!

Oh well, such is life!

I gave the first one to Uncle Steve and he laughed out loud at how clever he thought they were!


So I guess this adventure was a success after all.






The fries


The burger




the buns




condiments




Burgers!!










They need to get cold so the frosting can set up BEFORE you tray them. . .

Happy Fathers Day to the men in our nest :

Steven, Terry, Joe, Brent, Uncle Harry and Russ,

Uncle Steve and AJ

5 comments:

Maddie said...

cute! funny, you did put the condiments on the wrong side of the bun! haha, i just bought sugar cookies and cut them in strips, but i'm only doing cookies for joe and phil so I didn't need very many..i'm still working on everything else!

More of Mom's Special Moments said...

hang in there! it gets better when you're done!! ha

Maddie said...

your burgers look really fat! Mmmmm!

a said...

hmmmm, those look TASTY! We're on diets here, so no goodies for us :( hehehe

Patti said...

I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall watching you make these! They turned out cute!